Sunday 2 November 2014

A Week in Review (Oct 26-Nov 1)

A Week in Review (Oct 26-Nov 1)

Watched: Jack be totally grossed out by cleaning out a pumpkin. He was also quite messy at it. We had seeds everywhere. He came up with the design on his own and Nick only helped him carve the word Boo in it.  I used simple cookie cutters to make my pumpkin. The skin was super thick so I am glad I didn't do anything to complex. 


Read:  I finished up Rooms and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.  For Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Rooms is told from several different points of view, so it took me a while to get the hang of it. If you have enjoyed her other books, you will like this one as well. Or if you are looking for a good ghost story for Halloween, I would recommend this to you.I wasn't as intrigued by the story line as I thought I would be.  I really enjoyed the freaky pictures more than anything.  I thought that the author did a good job integrating the pictures as bits of the story.  I hated how the end just left you hanging.  I think that books, even with known sequels, should be able to stand alone and this one just didn't do that well.

Listened:  I am continuing to 11/22/63. The narrator does such a great job with the story and I really am intrigued by it.  I am currently in between paper books to read, so I have read that a bit as well. I am not quite half way done and have been listening to it for 3 weeks. 

Made:  These yummy cookies for my book club.  The parchment paper is a must as the toffee sticks pretty badly.  My spatula was covered in toffee bits by the end of the baking session.  Another gal brought the cowboy salsa listed below and it was great as well. Perfect side dish for so many occasions.

Felt: Excited for Jack. He really enjoyed indoor soccer. His favorite was being a goalie. I found out that was because he was angling for 50 cents a blocked goal.  I am interested to see if he will choose soccer or baseball in the Spring. 

Planned: On having to be more hands-on for the bowling game that I made for Jack's Halloween party. But the awesome thing about 1st graders was the fact that they could do it on their own and the only need me to supervise and give occasional pointers. I think all the kids really enjoyed it.  I forgot to get pictures during the party, but I did put one of Jack testing it out at home. 

Loved: Trick or treating with our friends, the Sanner's. We had supper before hand and then went up and down the two streets of our neighborhood. Jack had so much fun sharing in the experience with other kids his own age.  Jane even brought me some beautiful sunflowers which reminded all of us of Kansas.

Here are the pics for the week:















No comments: