Thursday 28 December 2017

A Week in Review (December 10-16)

A Week in Review (December 10-16)

Watched:  A lot of sports on Saturday.  We started out with a wrestling tournament.  Having not wrestled and not felt well all week, Jack didn't do great.  He didn't get last, but he did get his first fourth place finish.  Hopefully things will be better after break.  When the tournament was over, we rushed down to his final basketball game and made it for the second half of that.  Then we came home to watch the KU basketball game.  Nick had to put a blanket over the ticker so that he wouldn't see the Chiefs score which was also playing at the same time.  After the KU wrapped up, we set about watching the Chiefs game.  It made for a late night, but it was a good time.

Read:  I was able to finish up Cold Mountain and not all that long behind my book buddy.  We both realized that we are very glad to be a woman living in this day and age and definitely not a woman in Civil War era.  It was a very descriptive about the horrors of the Civil War and about what people will endure to survive. It wasn't particularly climatic or fast paced, but I enjoyed the journey. You definitely need to be a historical fiction fan to enjoy this novel. I am surprised it was made into movie, but will now try to watch it to see just how different it was from the novel.  I am going to start reading Every Time I Think of You.  I have had it on my TBR list for quite sometime and library just got an audiobook of it, so I am going to bump it to the top.

Listened:  To the doctor twice.  Once Wednesday for what I was sure was strep with Jack.  He had spiked a fever for a couple hours the night before and hadn't had much of an appetite and had been lethargic for most of the day.  The rapid culture came back negative, but we started a round of antibiotics because if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its usually a duck.  When I picked him up from school on Thursday, he showed me these weird spots that had popped up on his hand.  sure enough, the poor kid had Hand Foot and Mouth disease.  I started thinking doomsday thoughts about everything he was going to have to miss because we didn't want to share it with anyone else.  However, since he had been fever free and the sores weren't open, he was free to return to school and normal activities.  They thought that he still had strep on top of it, but it turns out that it must have just been from the HFM. I really hope this small bout raises his immunity to be able to fight it for the rest of his life.

Made: A really cute soup basket for my Secret Teacher.  It's hard to know what to get her and so I thought it would be fun to get her something different.  I walked around Walmart until I found my inspiration in two giant soup cups.  I am hoping that she liked it.  I won't know until the end of the year when we reveal ourselves.

Felt: Glad that I chose to skip the DAC meeting on principle and instead stay home and do my holiday baking because just as I was finishing up my last batch, I got a call from the school that Jack wasn't feeling well!  I am very glad to have gotten the cookies done before the cooties were in the house.  I think the reindeer ones turned out cute, but they weren't the yummiest, by a long shot.

Planned: On missing practice on Tuesday for a PTA board meeting and Wednesday for attending the Colorado College game, but things ended up all crazy due to Jack's illness.  I am glad we already had plans to miss because it made things easier since people weren't already expecting me to be there.

Loved: My daily life Black and White Challenge on Facebook.  It was fun to look around each day and see what I could take a picture of that would encapsulate my day.  It said that you couldn't have an explanation of why, so you'll just have to enjoy.  It was great to see the people who I challenged to join me do so too.  It made me eager to see what was on Facebook each day.

Here are the pics for the week:






















Nick's clever solution for not seeing the ticker.  It just looks festive!


No comments: