Monday 14 August 2017

A Week in Review (August 6-12)

A Week in Review (August 6-12)

Watched: The Glass Castle with my friend Mindy.  I broke my rule about reading the book before watching the movie so that I could hang out with a friend.  It was a very emotional movie and I think it sat heavy enough with me that I will just skip the book.  If you like drama, especially ones that are based on a true story, I would recommend watching this movie.  If you happen to have read the book, can you tell me why does he call her Mountain Goat?  They never explained it in the movie, but I am guessing they did in the novel.

Read: I finished up A Bridge Across the Ocean.  It earned only two stars from me.  It was really the ghost story part of this story line that I didn't like and didn't think needed to be there. The other two storylines were pretty good. They were fairly predictable though. Definitely my least favorite Susan Meissner book that I have read.  Next, I started on Loving Frank.  It is very slow moving and I haven't made it very far into it.  I did have book that my girlfriend recommended to me come off my holds list Saturday night so maybe that will push me to get through Loving Frank faster.

Listened: To bad news that Jack's friend Oliver would not be returning to PHE because his mom returned to work and they could't figure out a way to make the transportation work.  Jack had really made a close friendship with him, so he was particularly bummed.  Luckily, we were able to spend Friday afternoon together.  Jack introduced him to Payday and then they shot some hoops.  They made a game of Madden with Jack on All pro and Oliver on Rookie.  Oliver kind of whooped up on him.  It was good for his ego!

Made: Bags of popcorn for Back to School night.  Instead of popping it all, we got day-old donations from AMC.  It was so much easier and less messy!  It meant a lot of trips to get it, but that's much easier than hours spent around the machine and the mess of cleaning it up.  Back to school night was a huge success and we had like 70 people sign up.

Felt: Grateful for help.  With Nick out of town, we can't quite do everything like we are used to being able to.  For instance, I couldn't be at both Back to School night and get Jack to football.  Luckily, we have made good friends with one of his teammates.  She was kind enough to let Jack come over a little early so that the boys could play and I could take a few minutes of downtime in between bagging and engaging in the night.  I am glad that Jack has Miss Coomes again so that she is really willing to work with me because of how much I volunteer.

Planned: Drive to Blas.  Wednesday, I was brushing my toe along a baseboard and I thought I cut it.  I went about my day and didn't think much of it.  By Thursday it was hurting pretty good, so I looked down and saw that I hadn't cut it but I had gotten a huge splinter in it!  It was so deep and it was on it's way to being infected.  Since Nick isn't around, I immediately wish that Poppa was close by to pull it out because he is magical with splinters.  I tried to get it out on Thursday night, but it was just too deep.  The internet suggested making a baking soda paste and putting a bandaid over it.  I can't believe it, but it actually worked.  Once I took it off the next morning and opened a big enough hole at the end, it just pushed it's way out.  If it hadn't came out, I probably would have driven home to have Blas help me!  Think I might have lost my adult card over that one.

Loved: Our kickball party.  We have had seriously the wettest August that I have ever lived through. I think it has rained nearly every day.  I sent a text to all of our invitees reminding them that the field might be wet and muddy.  Right before we were scheduled to start, a rainstorm hit.  Luckily, it didn't last very long and we just played on a very wet and muddy field.  The kids did indeed get very messy.  They fell plenty of times on slippery grass.  But they all laughed and had a good time.  Our picture is missing a few people who had leave early and a few people who were in the neighborhood and decided to join in.  Jack had such a good time, he is looking forward to doing it again next year!

Here are the pics for the week:

He's the one hitting the bag out of the coaches hands


Our kickball group


So much popcorn and this isn't even a third of it!




Check out the size of the splinter!


No comments: