Monday 14 July 2014

A Week in Review (July 6-12)

A Week in Review (July 6-12)

Watched: Earth to Echo.  Jack had seen a preview of it the last time he was at Grandma Denise's and has been dying to go see it. It came out the 2nd and we didn't have a chance to get it in before Valerie's wedding, so we made sure to go this Friday.  While I thought it was only okay, Jack said it was "everything he hoped it would be".  He has already been asking if we can go back to theater to see it again.

Read: I finished up The Midwife's Confession.  An interesting story that tells about the tangled web that are so easy to weave. I still can't say that I understand any Noelle chose to kill herself. I should see if rereading the first chapter again and see if something clicks.  Next I started, The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2).  It started out about a bit faster since I already knew the back story and was more familiar with the writing style.  It's about 500 pages and so I am hoping to be able to get it done before I have to take it back to the library, but it might be a challenge!

Listened: To Barley's last bark at the first home we brought him too.  When we got him he was an energetic enough dog to put his paws on the counter and steal a pizza fresh from the oven.  Now he is such an old man that he request help getting into even my car.  He has still has a ton of spirit in him, but the old body is catching up with him.  He's losing a lot of weight.  Hopefully that's just the summer heat or something and he will put some back on soon.  I don't know what I'll do.  I still haven't gotten used to coming into this house without his baying at me. Its kind of unnerving.  I get through by knowing I will hear him next Friday.  :)

Made: A schedule up for Jack's monster to-do list before we leave KC.  Jack and I sat down and looked at at a calendar so that we could make sure that we get everything in.  This is made more difficult by the fact that Nick and I decided that I should visit SLC and see the new house and spend our anniversary together.  So each day is jam packed with different activities that he wants to do.  I think we will both be exhausted, but we will have fun together and hopefully give him a sense of closure before we leave.

Felt: Mixed feelings when I looked at the weather forecast for next week.  While highs in the 70's in July sounds great, it doesn't really work well for Oceans of Fun (which is of course one of our bucket list items). That meant we had to go to OOF on a Saturday.  It was every bit as bad as I thought it would be.  It was very hot and crowded.  I have gotten Jack used to not dealing with the crowds and people because we avoid the weekends and holidays when we go.  Because we had gold passes, we got in the 15 minutes early, which allowed us to get our seats and  have a few minutes with the lazy river basically to ourselves.  He loves to play tag in it, which is tiring, but I still try to play frequently.  I also convinced him to go down the slide before the line got out of control.  We stayed for about 5 hours, but that was all we could handle with the big crowd.  We definitely continue to try and keep our outings during the week!

Planned: To empty out my deep freezer and give the food to a FB friend that said they were having a rough go of it. But that ended up falling through and so we gave it to our neighbors. There was way more food than I thought in there and it was hard to see it go, but I am bad about cooking for just Jack and I and so it has to go. We have the deep freeze to my friend who is having triplets. I don't think purchasing another one is a wise investment for our family.

Loved: Our going away party.  We started out with a party in the park for his school friends in case their parents wouldn't let them stay up for the pool party, which ran from 8:15-10:15pm.  We were lucky in that most of them came over to the pool for at least a good chunk of time.  Jack also invited Aunt Valerie and Macie to come to his party and Aunt Valerie was nice enough to say 'yes'.  That's an awful lot of driving for a night time party.  I was surprised by friend Jo Ann at the pool party.  She put together several yummy treats for the dessert bar.  She brought Oreo Truffles (one of my favorites!), Bite Size Chocolate Chip Cookies, this delicious peanut butter, marshmallow fluff, rice crispies brownie, and a Blueberry Oatmeal bar.  It really helped make the dessert bar, which I provided sugar cookies for decorating and ice pops, the popular place to be!  I took several pictures so I squeezed them using a collage function.  It makes them kind of small, but I think you get the general gist.  If there is one you would like to see bigger, just let me know!

Here are the pics for the week:

Jack's first attempt to use a drill as a screwdriver. He found out that it was really heavy and just easier to use the traditional one for this application. 


Waiting for all the guests to arrive at the park






Apparently he was exhausted from all the fun. Getting up in the mornings for summer camp hasn't been easy either. 

Family selfies before Jack and Barley headed out Thursdsy morning. 

I was busy out helping Guy with my car repair and this is what I came into. :)

No comments: