Sunday 30 March 2014

A Week in Review (March 23-29)

A Week in Review (March 23-29)

Watched: Mr. Peabody & Sherman. Jack and I both enjoyed it, but I am sure for totally different reason. As a historical fiction fan, it was hilarious look at various people and places. I was also excited for Jack to be introduced, be it quite rudimentary, to some concepts like King Tut, the Trojan War, etc.  Jack liked it because there was plenty of adventure and I think he identified with Sherman.

Read:  I finished up The Cuckoo's Calling Sunday morning while my boys were still sleeping.  I really wonder what I would have thought of the book if I didn't know that JK Rowling was the author.  I kept trying to remind myself of that, but it was hard.  The beginning was very slow for me and I couldn't get into it.  The character development was almost over the top.  I just wanted her to dig more into the meat of the story.  Once she did that, I felt that it really picked up.  The who-done-it part wasn't all that shocking to me as I had guessed it fairly early on.  I did like the way she tied all the pieces together.  If there is a second book featuring the lead detective, Cormoran Strike, I will be likely to find time to read it.  Next I started the I really enjoyed it. It was story told from two time frames that easily wove together.  I was drawn in almost immediately. However, I did find most of the plot twists rather predictable. While that sometimes will diminish a novel for me, it didn't seem to this time. I would recommend it all historical fiction fans. Next, I began Sarah's Key , which I haven't done much actually reading on, but have done bit of listening too. 

Listened: Because I will be traveling to work 3 days next week, I wanted to make sure that I had an audiobook to make my drive more entertaining. I settled on Sarah's Key. It has a lot of 4 and 5 star ratings from my Goodreads friends and so I am excited to get more into it. My only issue is that the book is told from two viewpoints 60 years apart, but the orator does not really break long enough so that it is clear that the viewpoint has switched. It can throw you for a minute.

Made: Easter Egg paper cutouts for Jack's door. In Feb 2013, I found on idea on Pinterest to cover the door with 14 hearts that had what we loved about him. He wouldn't let me take them down for the longest time. Last week, he requested that we write new ones. Can't say no to that and so I came up with "25 reasons we think you are "egg"-cellent".

Felt: Thankful for Jack's Kindergarten teacher. It is amazing how I can try to introduce him to things, but he really doesn't become excited about them until he hears it from her. For example, Green Eggs and Ham.  I had read the book and suggested making them, but I was met with big resistance. In fact, when I told them they would be trying them at school, he informed me he wouldn't be eating them. Once he did, he found out he liked them pretty well. Fast forward to Sunday night, when we decided to do Omelette in a bag for dinner.  Jack just had to have a Green Eggs and Ham one! He liked it so much that he actually ate two!  And then requested it for dinner on Tuesday night and ate two more!

Planned: A date day with Jack on Wednesday. First we went to Open Gym, then to see Mr. Peabody & Sherman, followed by Mongolian BBQ, and it was supposed to conclude with a Mrs Field's cookie at the mall. But Mr Man was clever and got me into the Lego store where he scored new Legos. To my defense, Nick and I had been talking about buying him a good chunk of just bricks for a little while. We did get to play with their awesome new "toy", Digital Box, where you walk up to the screen with a larger set in your hand and it puts a 3D rendering of it on the screen for you. It was pretty awesome. I put a picture below for you to see. 

Loved: That it was a beautiful day when we picked Nick up from the airport on Friday.  We were running a bit behind and as I were driving I saw a Southwest plane on decent.  I had just read an article that said you could ask Siri what flights were overhead. I tried it and sure enough she indicated that it was Nick's flight!  It was pretty neat. When we were almost home, Jack asked to go the park.  So we stopped and spent almost 1.5 hrs there. We played pine cone and stickball. Luckily, I only had to be the backup batter if one of them become stuck on base!

Here are the pics for the week:

Jack's Green Eggs & Ham Omelette. 

Sitting on top of the tramp at Cosmic jump. 

The Cool Lego store toy. 

His Egg-cellent door. 

Siri's neat airplane trick. 

Pine cone and Stickball. The best thing about this picture is Jack's face if you zoom in. 

Our neighbor asked for words of encouragement to get her baby girl to pop out sooner rather than later. I asked Jack why he thought V should make it here and this is what he said. 


No comments: