Monday 29 January 2018

A Week in Review (January 21-27)

A Week in Review (January 21-27)

Watched: Hidden Figures with Jack.  I was very disappointed in the movie. The really altered the time line of events and lessened, I thought, the struggle that these women had to endure.  I did like that they chose to focus only on the three main characters.  While there could have been such a good showing of the way that the women pushed forward past the gender and race stereotypes, it ended up just being a rather boring movie.  Jack couldn't make it awake for the entire thing and I found myself longing for the end.  While it received high ratings on both Rotten Tomatoes and IMDb, I would not recommend it.

Read:  I finished up Hidden Figures. Overall, I would say that this book was interesting, but a bit repetitive. I felt the book could have been condensed down and made a bit more straightforward. She often got off on side tangents which didn’t do much for the story. If you enjoyed The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, you would probably enjoy this story as well.  I  started reading A Wrinkle in Time with Jack. Since we are doing a read-aloud it will take several days to complete it and I wouldn’t be looking for a review anytime soon.  That being said, I think we are both really enjoying and I am glad that I chose do it as a read-aloud with him.  The next book I started was another non-fiction, My Lovely Wife in the Psych Ward.  Luckily, it's a pretty engrossing read because I had another book come off my holds list and I still have to read my book club book for the month of February, so I need to get through it quickly. 

Listened: Myself tell Nick to stay in KC.  When I called him on Wednesday to discuss the options Jack and I had for flying out for our cruise, we got talking about what his travel schedule would look like.  He mentioned he wasn't going to be able to get out of there until after 10am on Friday and would need to leave Sunday afternoon to get back.  I couldn't see him driving all that way to be home and awake for about as many hours as it took him to drive here and back.  He didn't want to admit it, but he knew that I was right.  Jack didn't want to wrestle without Nick in his corner, so we chose basketball instead.  I watched some of it from behind the iPhone lens so that Nick could see it too.  You can watch it HERE.

Made: Referee circles for our upcoming tournament. It drives me nuts how a ref puts their fingers behind their back and then asks the kids to guess and no one is quite clear on who is choosing. Have a red/green coin is much easier. We looked at purchasing them but for a professional quality, the cheapest we could find was $4 each. So I found that I could buy plain coasters on Amazon for $6 for 50 of them. I then bought some red and green acrylic paint and cheap foam brushes and was in for $8 total. They turned out pretty good. There are a couple that have the edges blurred with the other paint color, but for $8, I’m calling it a win. 

Felt: Loved by good snuggling girl. I laid down on the floor to watch some football in front of the fireplace and Nora just snuggled up on me. She kept trying to laying her head on my head. On about the third time, I took a picture to show to Nick. She’s quite the character and always follows me around to lay near me. She is really a good dog and quite the mama’s girl.

Planned: On Nick being home this weekend, but when we were talking about plane flights for our cruise, we got discussing what the next few weeks looked like. It didn’t really make a ton of sense for him to drive home as he was really only going to be here and awake for as many hours as he spent driving. Jack’s basketball game conflicted with wrestling, so he chose basketball instead so that Nick wouldn’t have to miss out again.  While he hates missing basketball, it isn’t quite as painful. We are hoping that this means he will be able to get home earlier next week and he’ll be home the following week because they have a board of directors meeting here in the Springs that he will be presenting at. It’s pretty exciting to think we will have him home for a whole 7 days!

Loved: Sharing games with our friends.  On Friday night, we hosted Mindy, Landon, and Braydon.  We played Bounce Off, Catan, Ping Pong, and Tripoley.  We stayed pretty busy for all 3.5 hours that they were over here.  I think we might host again this Friday since our schedule keeps us otherwise engaged for two Friday's after that.  On Saturday night, we invited over Jack's friend Luke so that we could have a third player for Catan.  Luke wasn't sure what to think of it in the beginning, but by the end he just loved it!  I love that Jack loves playing games and has the competitive streak that runs so strongly between Nick and I.

Here are the pics for the week:



Side 1 of the coasters


A great quote that Mindy shared with me.  I liked it so much I published it to our Warriors Facebook page.


No comments: