Monday 22 January 2018

A Week in Review (January 14-20)

A Week in Review (January 14-20)

Watched: Jack wrestle without Nick as his coach.  He wasn't thrilled to be missing his dad on his side.  Luckily, both Coach Sean and Coach Ryan were there for him almost every match.  We have amazing coaches who realize how important that it is a kid has a bond with this coach and just doesn't take instruction from him.  You can see at the beginning of his last match that neither coach was able to be there and he was very upset about it.  When Coach Sean sat beside me, I told him to make sure that Jack knew he was there.  It might sound harsh, but it was Jack needed to turn that match around.  He had a very physical day of wrestling and you can watch his five matches HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE.

Read: I finished up Glass Sword on Sunday morning. I’m just not sure what I think of this book. I’m positive that I don’t like line “Anyone can betray anyone”. I’m glad that I have a decent waitlist until the third book because I almost think of through my Kindle in frustration if I read that line again too soon. I’m thinking the next book could be pretty good. I’m committed now so I guess I’ll have to see what the rest of the story holds.  Next I read Twist since it had came off my hold list.  This was a pretty good follow up to the first work in the series, Dirty. You are introduced to a new main character and one of the side characters from the first book took main stage with her. It was a sweet romance with plenty of hot and heavy scenes thrown air. I’ll be looking for the third book soon.  Next I started Hidden Figures since the audiobook came off my hold list as well. I’m barely started but it’s an interesting look in on a part of a history that I’m not familiar with. 

Listened: To one three-year-old question my outfit on PJ Day at work.  Two out of the four classes decided to move their PJ day which did make my outfit seem a bit out of place for those classes. One of the fashion forward girls looked at me and asked if I really wore my pajamas to school.  When I explained that it was pajama day, but her teacher had changed it, she informed that class before them wasn't wearing pajamas either.  I couldn't disagree but I told her when she left she should see if that class had their PJs on.  She just smiled like she was appeasing a crazy old lady and I just laughed.  Luckily the next class was wearing their pajamas so maybe I regained some of my street cred with her.  Haha

Made: Cakes for Jack's birthday.  I am not sure what happened but they didn't turn out in my usual style.  I think I might need to get a over thermometer because they cooked way to fast.  It also felt like the pan I used was bigger than normal.  They came out dry, but the kids enjoyed them.  The decorating them was harder this year, but I am still proud-ish of my job.  Jack liked the way that they looked and that's really all that matters.  Next year, I will try to do things different so that I can give him a nice moist cake again.

Felt:  Glad that we have such awesome friends.  When we were leaving basketball practice on Friday, Landon and Jack were trying to get to spend more time together.  Since they already had family game night planned, it didn't work for what the boys were thinking.  However, Mindy invited us over and we all had a blast.  She even cooked a yummy dinner of steak sandwiches and we had s'mores for dessert.  We then had a long game on Monopoly.  It came down to Landon and I and we could have went for a long time more, so I suggested just doing a roll off to see one.  I think we will try to keep this going by inviting them to our house in two weeks.

Planned: Not getting stranded in Manitou when we went there so that Jack could show his Kyle and Jess the mineral springs, the candied popcorn, and do the Incline with them.  After we walked around enjoying the first two, we left the kids so they could head for their assent and we went down to enjoy some brunch.  When we got the call that they were headed down, we went up to the top of the lot to pick them up again.  The length of the decent was blurred in Nick's mind and so we sat waiting.  As we did, he turned on the car to set up his bluetooth device that I got him.  Both of us forgot the moment at my mom's where I turned the car on and off quickly and needed a jump.  Well the same thing happened again.  We called a guy to come out and jump us.  He apparently drove to the area and some other couple in a white vehicle was having a hard time and shooed him away and he thought it was us.  So he came back out and finally got us jumped.  Nick said the battery was awfully low, so we had to head to the auto part store before enjoying our HuHot dinner on Jack's last day being nine.

Loved: Celebrating Jack’s birthday with him.  After getting to sleep in, he was able to open all of his presents from the family.  I think he was most excited about his 5lb gummy bear.  It was pretty ridiculous but Nick says that what birthdays are for and so we went for it.  He got a lot of other enjoys too, but I think that one hit the spot.  His party guest began to arrive about 12 and they spent the first half hour waiting for everyone to arrive and just having fun with each other.  The first game on the party docket was the Gross Soda challenge.  You can see how awful the butter one tasted by looking at Kyle's face in the picture featured underneath.  After the game was over Two and Aunt Jess had to head back to Alliance as Jess was leaving for a conference in Dallas the next day.   We then enjoyed pizza and presents.  He got 3 balls, 2 nerf guns, and 1 game from his friends.  I'd say that they know hime pretty well.  Next they went into Nerf Hide and Seek.  That game was wildly popular and resulted in what I am sure will be me finding darts for ages.  Next the played Giant Cup Pong.  It was a lot longer game than I thought it would be, but all the kids enjoyed it.  They realized they could get their booties stuck in them.  It was all fun and games until Jack rolled over his thumb while stuck in it.  He was pretty upset and I was kind of worried it might be broken with the swelling.   (It was just a deep cut with some swelling!)  To give him time to recover, we tried the Top Ramen tasting challenge.  That one was quite hard for them.  They ended the party with a game of Water War.  It is played like neighbor except the high card gets to pour water on the head of the low card.  All the kids seemed to really enjoy it.  After the party was over, Nick to Rylan home and then headed out to KC for the next two weeks.  We let Landon stay over until 5:30.  I thought we were going to the Melting Pot for dinner, but Jack looked like he was about to zone out on the drive down there.  I didn't want to spend Melting Pot money for him to not fully enjoy it so I offered him an out.  He took it and we went and got Chick-fil-a and a movie instead.  We watched both Underdog and Spider-Man: Homecoming.  He got to stay up late since it was his birthday.  I think he had a great day and I am lucky that we got to celebrate it with so many people.

Here are the pics for the week:
















No comments: