Thursday 18 January 2018

A Week in Review (January 7-13)

A Week in Review (January 7-13)

Watched: The boys rock the day on Sunday completing so many things from my honey-do list. With such a busy Saturday, we had a lot of things we wanted to do. The major one was getting the vanity that the boys bought me for Christmas. I really love the idea of storage in the bathroom. I won’t get to know until next week because Jack asked me to wait so that it would be a good spot for Nerf Hide-n-Seek during his party.  Nick worked pretty non-stop to help me out. I’m thankful

Read:  I continued to work more on the Glass Sword.   I didn't quite get it finished, but should definitely wrap it up early next weeks.  It's not the greatest of books.  I think it may be one of those trilogies where they are read spread out.  I am several down in the holds list for the third book, so I am thinking that's a really good thing

Listened: To a lot of people cheer for Jack during his tournament this weekend.  Our team section was very close to Jack's mat and a lot of people cheered him during his matches.  You will see he was very close during Match 1, but their weight difference was just too much for Jack to be able to roll him.  In Match 2, he kind of threw the poor kid around like a rag doll.  It was fun to watch, but it wasn't much of a challenge. Match 3 was a rematch against a kid who he has had some other matches against and whose coach is always complementary of Jack.  It was hard fought and you can see the poor kid give up right at the end.  In Match 4, Jack was the rag doll.  It was hard to watch, but it's good for him to know that there are still a lot of moves that he can learn.  If you click on the Match number, you can see the videos.

Made: A reading challenge of Banned Books with my online reading group.  I selected the following 10 books and while they are number 1-10, they are in no particular order.

1). Make Something Up: Stories You Can't Unread 
2). The Perks of Being a Wallflower
3). And Tango Makes Three 4 stars 
4). Beloved
5). The Giver
6). The Handmaid's Tale 
7). Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
8). A Wrinkle in Time
9). The Things They Carried 
10). Bridge to Terabithia

I also finished my first book for the challenge, And Tango Makes Three.  I didn’t realize it was a children’s book. I just saw that it was consistently in the ALA’s top 10 list so I added it to my challenge list.

I’m trying to picture my reaction if Jack brought home this book from his school library when he was younger. I’m quite certain that I would be shocked, but then I think it would be an awesome opportunity to discuss that all families are different. I am really amazed that it is based on a true story and I think that should call into question a lot of people beliefs. I assume that’s why it is frequently challenged is that adults can’t handle their beliefs being challenged. It’s very clear where the book was going. If you weren’t prepared to handle the subject matter with our children, change the words. The kids will never know. If your child has read it without you and has questions, simply tell them you’ll talk about it later. I can’t imagine asking a library to remove this from their shelves as it could be impactful to a child living in a same sex home. 

Jack's reaction to this book being banned: Why was this book banned? How can people hate this book? It’s based on a true story.


Felt:  Bummed about mom's work schedule.  Due to an increase in their workload, the BNSF has fallen behind on repair of the motors.  This forced them to announce a mandatory 6 day work week with no vacation.  Mom was planning on coming here for Jack's birthday, but she is no longer able too.  She will just have to try to make it down another weekend to play with us!  It's hard to schedule random weekends in the winter though.  On the plus side, the kids were able to drive during the day and made it here in time to take Jack to weigh-ins after basketball.  After I got the three boys to practice, I headed out so that I could help with weigh-ins for our Southern Regional Tournament.  We enjoyed a nice night of tacos and games before turning in early-ish for the tournament.

Planned: On Nick wiping our old Windows computer, but instead he moved it downstairs and hooked it up to the basement TV and taught Jack how to run the emulator on it.  Jack has really enjoyed getting to play the old school games.  Tecmo Super Bowl, Donkey Kong, and Super Mario Brothers are his favorite.  I introduced him to one of my favorites in Bubble Buster Bros and he didn't like it nearly as much as I did.  I was thinking about how amazing it would have been to be able to play the games on such a big clear screen.  You would have been the hit of the neighborhood.

Loved:  Creating all Jack's party games.  The one game he was sure everyone had to play was Giant Cup Pong as that was the first Team Edge video he had ever watched.  While they use large trash cans, we went with 5 gallon buckets.  It worked really well and we tested it out several times.  Its much like beer pong, but instead of having to drink, you have to do the punishment that is at the bottom of the bucket that your opponent makes.  He also has several other games planned like Nerf Hide-n-Seek, Nerf Hangman Roulette, a gross soda Challenge, a Top Ramen tasting challenge, What's in the Box challenge, a basketball challenge.  He has so many that I'm sure we won't get to them all, but it will be fun trying!  I'll let you know how it all went down next week.

Here are the pics for the week:





A puzzle we did over Christmas break.  Jack wouldn't let us take it apart until we got a selfie with it.  That was a bit more work than you might think, but we got it done and I was able to finally break apart the puzzle,











No comments: