Monday 23 January 2017

A Week in Review (January 15-21)

A Week in Review (January 15-21)

Watched:  I caught up to live on This Is Us. I spent way more time watching it than I should have, but I just couldn't get enough. I am so glad that I decided to give it a try. If you are looking for a show to watch and you enjoy peeking into the lives of others, this would totally be for you. 

Read: I finished up three books that I was reading this week.  First, I finished up I'll Take You There.  This book was very disconnected to me. I'm not sure what the main point the author was attempting to drive home. It seemed like there lots of ideas, but no one strong theme. I think it was the bouncing around in ideas that made it take me so long to get through. I'm a Wally Lamb fan, if I feel like this one needed more focus.  Jack and I finished up the book he had brought home to share with me, Jennifer Murdley's Toad.  It is his favorite that she has read to him. He was disappointed that I only gave it three stars. He said it was deserving of 4.5 stars. It's a good story to share with students in grades 3-5.  On Saturday, I was able to wrap The Winter People. This book is more like a 3.5 half star book for me. I think that it would have been 4 stars if I had liked the ending a little bit more. It truly left me creeped out in several places. I think it would make a great Halloween read.  Next I am going to start All the Ugly and Wonderful Things and The Lost City of Z.  I am hoping they are both fast reads and that I have at least one review for you next week.

Listened: To Nick's co-workers talk sports during their Friday Afternoon Club.  Because Jack was over at his friends before their basketball practice, Nick invited me to come out for their weekly beer.  None of the beers sounded good, so I just sat around and listened.  He works with a lot of nice guys and I hope they all continue with the company for years.

Made: Three birthday cakes for Jack's 9th birthday. He requested a number 9 for his birthday, so I made it free form so that we could eat cake on his real birthday. For his party the next day, I made a helmet cake in colors of his choosing and a domed football. I was pretty proud of the way they ended up looking. They tasted good to boot!

Felt: A little bummed that Jack's opponents were mostly rematches from last week.  The one new opponent did beat him in OT, but it was a heck of a battle.  While they were waiting around to collect their medals (custom medals for 1st and 2nd place!), Blitz (the new opponent) and Jack got talking.  Apparently Blitz has been wrestling for five years.  It was good for Jack to see that his skills can hang with the likes of kids who have been in club wrestling for many more years than he has.  You can watch his matches HERE, HERE, and HERE.

Planned: On just a short trim to keep my hair more in line, but I ended up talking quite a bit off.  I really love the way it looks.  I am so bummed that I finally found someone who I like to cut my hair and she is moving to Texas in May.  She thought she would be able to refer me to someone else who can give me a good cut.  I am crossing my fingers because my hair is quite the pain to cut and style.

Loved: Celebrating my boy turning 9!  Since his birthday was Sunday were got to celebrate for almost two days.  The morning started with Madden (of course) and a stack of 9 donuts.  We slowly opened presents from Grandma Teri and Poppa Blas and from Nick and I.  We also went to HuHot, where he decided to wear his 9 gold medals, but then left them in car.  Since Grandma Teri had to get back so she could go to work, we went to Dart Warz a day early with her.  We came back in time to finish watching the Cowboys and Packers game.  Jack was pretty devastated that the Cowboys lost.  He couldn't even talk to Aunt Valerie when she called to wish him Happy Birthday.  Nick went from ecstatic at tie to bummed that the points were called back on a hold.  In the end, the Chiefs lost, but they did play pretty hard.  The next day we celebrated his birthday with friends spending two hours at Dart Warz and then two hours at our house.  I was pretty zonked by the end of it, but I think I made my boy feel special, which is what birthday's are all about!

Here are the pics for the week:




 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

 

 

 


 

 

No comments: