Wednesday 21 December 2016

A Week in Review (December 18-24)

A Week in Review (December 18-24)

Watched: Rogue One on Sunday.  I don't like reading spoilers, but I will just say that it was a very intense movie.  If you are a Star Wars fan than I am sure you will enjoy it.  Even if you aren't a Star Wars fan, you might find some things in there to enjoy.  You probably wouldn't get some of the nuances, but I am not sure that would stop you from enjoying the overall film.

Read: I finished up In a Dark, Dark Wood.  This book way to long to grab my attention and then I felt it was rather predictable. I am hoping for better things from the authors second book.  I purchased them both because one was a book club read and the other was a buddy read I wanted to do with my friend.  I am definitely not diving right into the second one.  Instead, I decided it was time to finish up the Sookie Stackhouse series, so I am reading Dead Ever After.  They are generally pretty fast reads and I figured that is exactly what I need this time of year.

Listened
: To a loud pop as I engaged my parking brake, while stopping at the library.  Luckily, it didn't stay stuck on so the car was safe to drive. Sadly the bad didn't know that and was beeping loudly and constantly if I was driving over 5mph. It was strongly encouraging me to disengage the parking brake. Even though we had way too much else that needed done so we could prepare to leave, Nick and Jack tore the car apart to figure out the issue. It, of course, broke in the obscure place so getting a part was not easy. We luckily found one online for cheaper than the dealer would have wanted. I was blown away by the fact that it was delivered so quickly, as to have to ask our friends to pull it in the house for us.  I'm hoping that the actual repair isn't a nightmare for them to complete.  It's awesome that Jack is getting to learn about all the different ways to approach a problem like car repair. 

Made: A race ribbon hanger for my sister-in-law.  I really hope she likes it.  I did hire out the making and placing of the vinyl and the attaching of the hooks and the hanger on the back, but the rest was mine.  I don't do handmade gifts very often, but when I can't find what I am looking for, I am always willing to make it myself.

Felt: So proud of Jack.  On Monday, he finished up a letter he had been kicking around.  He is very frustrated that the Broncos v Chiefs game is on Christmas Day.  He thinks that is real nut kicker!  They learned about persuasive writing this last quarter and so he decided he would try and write one to the NFL commissioner, Rodger Goodell.  We posted it out through Facebook, Twitter, and email.  We even got a response through email. It was very exciting to see the process in action. 

Planned: A day at Chuck E Cheese to celebrate winter break with my boy.  His Aunt Debbie always sends us coupons, so we were able to get 100 tokens for $20.  We were very excited when we went to the machines and saw that it was half price day!  So were able to play 200 games instead.  Plus, the workers were randomly walking around adding credits to machines.  We played for almost 3hrs straight often battling each other.  I am one of the odd moms who actually enjoys Chuck E Cheese with her kiddo, so we both had a great time.

Loved: All the awesomeness that comes with celebrating Christmas. Almost as soon as we arrived at my mom's, we were making Christmas cookies.  A family friend invited us out to a party where he proposed to his girlfriend. We dropped Nora off at my brother and sister-in-law's house. I kind of flipped out when we drove to get her and she is sitting to paws up on the couch as she was supposed to be restricted to the back area of the house. I peeked in the window and there was a ripped stuffed animal on the floor, a torn open Amazon package, and presents in different parts of the floor. I freaked out assuming she'd become destructive inside their home.  Luckily the only thing she had gotten to was a stuffed monkey that had been bought for their boys. I was very relieved!  To end the evening, we decorated the cookies.  Jess's little brother came out and helped us too. The result was some really awesome cookies!  Christmas Eve afternoon we celebrated my brother's 27th! birthday. Our family gave him a fitness watch and then we sent him on a scavenger hunt so he got to spend longer opening the present from my mom.  After lunch, they headed in for Christmas Eve dinner with her family and we played some cards while waiting for them to return.  We then spent the evening opening up gifts from each other. We all go around and guess and see what others have gotten. It takes a while, but it's so nice to just focus on the enjoyment of giving and seeing people's reactions.  We are all blessed beyond measure. 

Here are the pics for the week:

My dates for the movie
 

Jess's Christmas Present
 

Jack's letter to the commissioner 
 
And his response
 

One of the many fun games at Chuck E
 

Bought Nora a Christmas outfit. She dint seem to mind it too bad. Couldn't quite get the hood to stay on and show the antler though. 
 

 

Selfie with mom 

 Doesn't she just look like trouble?

 
 
 

Playing fetch while we wait for everyone to get up and get going. She thought the pile of snow was hilarious. 

 

No comments: