Wednesday 4 November 2015

A Week in Review (October 25-31)

A Week in Review (October 25-31)

Watched: The final episode of Scrubs.  I am so glad that I read the review that suggested looking at season 9 as a spin off.  They did such an awesome job wrapping up the show at the end of Season 8 that I couldn't imagine them beginning again.  They really didn't.  The show creator wanted to call the show Med School and I think it might have done better if people had seen it as its own show.  It didnt get the series finale that made you feel good since it only last a season.  I think I am going to start watching Modern Family for my next series.


Read:  Last week I started One More Day.  I chose this book randomly off my book case and ended up with a "ghost story" in October.   This book really makes you examine how we should spend our time and what we should give our energy too. It also causes you to reflect on the life beyond what we see on the surface of other people's lives.   Good if you are looking for a quick read.  When I was finished I started reading Dead in the Family which I am also listening too.

Listened: Dead in the Family.  It had been almost six months since I read about Sookie and her crew and the Halloween season seemed like a good time to pick it back up.  I am enjoying the series.  I checked it out on from the library in MP3 format, so it makes it easy to listen to when I am doing things in the house as well as driving. I am sure that I will have it finished up by next week.
Made: Frames for Jack's school Star Student wall.  As you know I agreed to take the pictures, and I just had to take it a step further.  I wanted something that would like nice and still be able to change out every month.  I think I found a great solution choosing photo corners.  There was quite a bit of trial and error, but I am very pleased with the end result.  It really pops when you walk into the school.  I know the kids loving having their picture up there too.  Jack was even selected as a Star Student this month by his teacher for the character trait of Responsibility.  I was very proud of him.

Felt: Overwhelmed when I walked into Jack's school Friday morning.  I had realized Thursday night that I had doubled book myself and was supposed to both deliver popcorn to students for Popcorn Friday and meet with the principals to discuss the budget review for the District Accountability Meeting.  It was also the Halloween parade.  When I walked in, I was immediately met with a problem.  They had forgotten to hand out the order forms and the teachers were freaking out to the poor office front staff.  It was also then that I realized I was the only person there to do anything about it.  I saw another person who I know does some volunteer work and asked her to please help me.  We really don't jibe, but at that point, I knew I needed to take what I could get.  I walked around the order forms and let the teachers know popcorn would be later than normal, but would get to their class before lunch.  Then I hurried and watched Jack in the parade, which I didn't get a great picture of.  Next, I went back and tried to figure out the popcorn mess.  We finally finished about 2 hours later.  Then I realized the machine needed cleaned.  I was in my costume so I had to go home, change, and come back and clean it.  Phew!  Less than two hours later, I got a call from the front office saying Jack had threw up in the classroom.  Apparently, he coughed so hard that he gagged.  It wasn't the best way to end my day.  Luckily it was just a cold and not the stomach bug that is going around the room too.

Planned:  For Jack to wrestle on Saturday morning.  While I knew he had a pretty bad cold, I felt that he needed to wrestle through it.  After all, wrestling season is all cold season long.  Better just to buck it up.  He woke up coughing more than I would have liked, so I ran and bought him some Dimetapp thinking that it had the best flavor so hopefully he could get it down.  We did, his friends met us out our house so we could travel together, and we made it.  It was already pretty busy, but we are able to find a spot that wasn't too far away.  Luckily we came from the north of the gym, so we found that spot to the north as well.  Now you may be asking yourself why that matters.  Well, it wasn't but 5 minutes after the wrestling started that the host came over the loud speaker and told us that we were on Lock Down.  You could not re-enter the gym if you left.  And too be honest, I don't think they would have let you leave.  They didn't say anything else.  Well, of course, I googled and it said there was a shooting near the intersection of where we were.  About an hour later they lifted the ban, but said if you were parked to the south, you would not be able to get to you car.  When we walked out of the gym, there was immediately crime scene tape blocking off the whole area to the south.  Apparently, a gunman who had set fire to his place and killed three innocent victims had his shootout RIGHT outside the gym.  It was so loud that we didn't even know.  I am so thankful that we were able to stay in the dark about it.  I have, of course, been following the story.  I thought THIS was a good post what happened.  One interesting thing I read was that his neighbor called 911 saying he was walking around with his gun looking distraught, but was told open carry was legal and there was nothing they could do about it.  Not exactly sure how I feel about that.  

Loved: All the fun things Halloween brings.  We carved pumpkins Sunday before Jack headed to a neighbors party. He made a bat hanging from a tree.  Nick carved a Minecraft pumpkin and I went for a Dracula silhouette.  Jack wasn't thrilled that we made him work on scooping his out while we were finishing carving ours.  Halloween night was absolutely beautiful weather wise.  We started out handing out candy to some of the earlier trick-or-treaters.  Then we went up and down the block in our matching costumes.  I was Gwen from Spider-Man and he was Spider-Man.  Normally, I would have spent the whole time out with him, but the Royals game 4 started at 6:07.  Luckily, he met up with some his neighborhood friends and Nick took them around.  After they got back, our friends who live quite a ways away made it to our house.  We invited them in for a break and beer for the dad.  We watched the Royals game and the kids played together.  We had several more trick-or-treaters that Jack was able to enjoy passing the candy out too.  Now its time to bring on Thanksgiving!  

Here are the pics for the week:















No comments: