Wednesday 18 November 2015

A Week in Review (November 7-14)

A Week in Review (November 7-14)

Watched: Everyone go crazy for our ball maze.  I am not sure what it was, but they all had a blast trying to get it done.  Our friend Ryan aced it on his second or third attempt.  I thought that was pretty impressive.  The kids realized there was a short cut that you could take that would help you more easily get your ball into the finish section without going through all the levels.  All the kids were very interested in how it was made.  I suggested to Jack that they should write in to the show and put that as a suggestion.


Read: Go Set a Watchman, which is Harper Lee's rough draft that her family released without her consent. If she only wanted to give one book to the world, I am glad it was To Kill a Mockingbird. Go Set a Watchman may shed light into the minds of southerners in the 60's. There were several times that I really identified with Scout. It is so hard to know that your beliefs stand in direct opposition to those you love. I hope that she comes to find peace with those differences.  Next I began, After You.  I have barely begun it, but I am still hoping to have a review by next week. 

Listened: One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd.  My book reading list is all coming off holds at the same time, but I had wanted to read this book during Native American Month.  I wasn't sure how I was going to fit them all in, so I decided to see if I could find the audio book to listen too.  Luckily, our library had it and I was able to begin.  Because I had so many things to do for Fall Festival, I was able to put on the book and listen to it instead of having the TV on for background noise.  It is quite the story and I am enjoying it.  It is centered around the Brides for Indians program that actually occurred.    I am hoping to have it finished by next week.

Made: My life this week pretty much revolved around the Fall Festival.  Jack's school hosted it's first school carnival and I headed a lot of it.  I was really nervous that everything would turn out well.  I didn't want to throw an event that left people feeling disappointed.  I tried to think of so many various scenarios and plan for them.  I am very thankful for all the big bashes that I have thrown for Jack and doing the parties for Trinity when I worked there.  It did help me plan things better.

Felt: Amazed at Fall Festival.  When had done a decent amount of money in pre-sales, but it was no where near what we did at the door. There was just a huge line of people coming in that night.  We even ran out of change and had to issue people IOU's while I ran to the bank inside Wal-mart and pleaded with them to do their civic duty and give me change even though I was not an account holder.  I am happy to report that they did help!  People also had a great time playing the games that were out.  The teachers mostly ran the games their grade created and were a lot of fun for the students.  We had an overwhelming demand for pizza.  When I started, I was hoping that we could clear a little money.  Luckily, we cleared a lot more which will really help the PTA's operating budget.

Planned: A whole list of things to do for next week.  I am going to try and insert some wire to make our Elf a bit more poseable.  I am planning to get our car tags switched over to Colorado.  I am going to try and get all our Christmas books wrapped.  I am going to everything back in place after the disorder that Fall Festival called.  I need to work on the school improvement plans for my DAC meeting on Tuesday.  I also have to help with the Pride Assemblies and Volunteer in Jack's room a couple times.  It should be a full week.

Loved: Watching Jack take his first gold.  He was finally in a class with all other C wrestlers and was able to take first.  It really boosted his confidence and made him willing to work even harder.  All of his coaches note that he doesn't quit when he is out on the mat and they are quite proud of his tenacity.  I think this is one of the best lessons that wrestling teaches.  Even if you are down, you can still come back and win it if you just keep trying.

Here are the pics for the week:

Ryan showing off his accomplishment!


Jack with his gold metal 

No comments: