Monday 5 October 2015

A Week in Review (September 27-October 3)

A Week in Review (September 27-October 3)

Watched:  The Martian movie with Nick.  Both of us were really disappointed in it.  It felt so far short of the book it was unbelievable.  They added in parts that weren't in the book (and didn't need to be) and left out so much of the book that probably should have been in there.  When are you dealing with a book that is already quite popular, it is probably best to write a script that is close to the book!  So if you do decided to watch the movie, and you like it, please pick of the book.  You will like it so much more.


Read:  As you can tell by the paragraph above, I finished up The Martian.  I am generally not a science fiction fan, but I read this book so I could go see the movie with my husband. My husband has been telling me to read it well before it was announced it was going to be a movie, but I lacked the proper motivation for reading it.   I am so glad that I read it. While I let a lot of the science go right over my head, I enjoyed the story line immensely. There is just something about Watney that you love. I think no matter who you are, you see yourself in some part of him. While the book ended more abruptly than I would have liked, I thought his closing thoughts were very accurate.  Next, I started up Good Omens:  The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch.  I think I am on a book let down and haven't gotten very far into yet.  It does give me a feeling very similar to Kevin Smith's movie Dogma.  

Listened:  To some people deflate the Fall Festival spirit at Jack's school.  When we presented it at the PTA there were a little negative Nancy's around.  It is hard when you are trying to put on a new event.  People are very resistant to the change.  Hopefully we were able to come to comprises and the event will be a blast and money making success.  It's scary to lay out money when you have no idea how much will come in return.  I am sure I will have several more stories for the blog before the event gets here in 5 weeks!  


Made: A trip to the local high school's fall festival.  It wasn't as impressive as the ones I remember from my youth, but Jack had a good time.  There was a balloon artist that he liked.  When Jack went to his booth, he was gone with a sign up that said "Back in 5 minutes".  I was kind of wondering where he had went, when he walked out on huge stilts.  It was pretty entertaining to see him.  He definitely had a good time messing around with the kids that were there.

Felt: So proud of Jack.  He qualified for the state cross country meet with a time of 13:50, shaving almost two minutes off his original time.  For some reason, the boys started a minute after the girls this race.  Therefore Jack was not pushing it as hard as he could because the clocked showed that he had failed at his challenge.  You can't believe how excited he was when he realized that he made it.  The meet is the weekend we are going to be in Kansas so we will have to boogie back here so that he can run with his friends.  Two other boys from the team also made it.  His coach captured pictures of every runner from the track.  She also took one of the team waiting together before the races started.  They are below.


Planned: On having to see the early show while Jack was at a birthday party. But we got lucky, and he was invited to stay the night at the host house. He had a wonderful time and Nick and I enjoyed not having to rush back. We enjoyed a dinner and then the movie.  Being the old people that we are (haha), we turned in early so that it was easier to wake up for the early KU football game. 

Loved:  Getting all my Halloween decorations up.  It is a little later than I would normally do it, but the weather just hadn't been cooperating with that fall-feeling.  Luckily, it turned pretty cool around the 2nd of October as I was putting them up just because October had began.  I love the all the fun things that are out in the house and the whimsy that the decoration adds.  I really love the  wall of art of Jack's through the years.  It makes me smile every time I walk by it.  I really wish it could stay fall temperatures all winter long!

Here are the pics for the week:









No comments: