Monday 21 September 2015

A Week in Review (September 13-19)

A Week in Review (September 13-19)

Watched: Jack compete in his first cross country meet.  He decided to run the mile and half.  There were only 2 kids in his whole club who decided to give it a shot.  He had an official time 15:45.  About 2/3 of the race, he bent over and I was sure he was retching.  Luckily, he was only picking up something interesting he saw.  It was in the mid 80s and he said he felt like he was going to die.  He is trying to decide if he will run the mile and half or if he will just run the mile next week.  


Read: No more of the Pennyroyal Academy.  I know I want to, I just didn't make it happen.  I did have a book come off hold called Everything I Never Told You.  It seems to have the makings of good book, but I am not to far into it.  I think I am going to add reading to my daily to-do list so that I make time for it each day during the daylight.  We will see if this translates to more naps or not since reading usually relaxes my brain enough that I fall asleep at night.

Listened: Nick cuss the parts that were included with the light fixtures that I bought to replace more of the bad early 90s gold and glass figures that are in the house.  Apparently, they didn't give screws that were long enough to be able to get t hem in as secure as he would like.  Luckily, he had some extra screws in the garage that we were able to use that were up to his standards.  I wouldn't replace them if they worked well, but they don't.  I love the look of the new ones and they light up the area so much better!
Made: A small gift from the PTA to give to teachers and staff on their birthdays.  It turned out pretty cute.  The only drawback to it is that I am going to every teachers favorite store to buy the gift card that they listed.  It will put me in about 20 different stores throughout the year.  I hope that the teachers like them.  The couple whose faces I saw when I delivered them looked pretty pleased.

Felt: Proud of myself.  I was walking home from taking Jack to school when I saw a snake slither on the rocks right next to me.  Normally, I would have freaked out, yelled (mostly like a curse word) and ran to the other side of the street.  I just remained calm and walked a little faster.  It may not seem like a big deal, but trust me, it is huge for me :)

Planned:  On watching the Broncos lose to the Chiefs.  Both teams performances on Sunday and the atmosphere of a Thursday night football game in Arrowhead, were both on my side.  During the first quarter, it looked my prediction would come true.  But then we rallied back in the 2nd quarter.  With less than a minute to go in the game, it looked like odds had swung out of our favor, as we were down a touchdown.  I thought for sure the best we could hope for was overtime.  But then, Peyton marched down the field tying the game.  Jack and I discussed whether they should try for an onsides kick or if they should bury them in their territory and hope for a fumble.  We agreed burying them so they had a longer field was the better option.  But wouldn't you know it, Jamaal Charles coughed it up, we scooped it and scored the game winning touchdown.  Jack and I were ecstatic, and Nick was super pissed.  I am still pretty amazed with the way the game turned out.

Loved: Since KU had a bye week, we decided to drive down and check out Lake Pueblo.  On the way down, we stopped and had some Rudy's BBQ.  It isn't as great as Oklahoma Joe's (I almost refuse to call it Kansas City Joe's), but it was good and relatively inexpensive for BBQ.  They only have one location down south which is about 25 minutes from us, so we probably wont eat there often, but I know we will be back sometime.  Our first stop at the lake was the South Marina.  We were all itching to go boating, but renting a boat is just ridiculous.  We keep talking about how we need to get a boat again, but having the best lake be an hour away is a huge drawback.  Next we thought we would try to find the swimming beach so that we could dip our toes in the water.  Turns out that the close the swimming beach at Labor Day.  What a bummer that was.   But we did find an area where we could throw rocks in the water.  I don't know what it is about it, but Jack could do it for hours!  We convinced him to let us see what else there was in the area.  We walked along the trail until we found the river.  :)  Upon putting our toes in it, we saw it wasn't too bad.  Jack and I waded out the middle and stood on the four rocks that we perched out there.  Jack and I had a moss fight and he Nick played stick ball with rocks from the shore.  In all the pitches that Nick through, which had to be sixty-plus, Jack only connected twice.  Jack had to slip out of his clothes and into one of Nick's jackets for the ride home.  I guess we need to remember to pack spare clothes every time we go near water!

Here are the pics for the week:


Jack thanks Grandma Teri for not sending his ball to the rocks during a game of croquet


Jack running the downhill stride on the first half mile of his mile and half race.


Jack picked the pose and I love it!


Our new light fixtures





Not the actual snake, but a screen shot of one that looked just like it.


The best selfie I could get of my boy and I wearing red to honor Rebecca.


Rock toss


Me in the river with the geese


Another selfie with Jack in the river


A somewhat zoomed in shot of Jack and I on the four rocks in the middle of the river.


No comments: