Sunday 23 August 2015

A Week in Review (August 16-22)

A Week in Review (August 16-22)

Watched: The final episode in Parks and Recreation.  After reading Amy Poehler's book, Yes Please, I felt that I had to watch the show she referenced so many times.  Plus, my brother has often recommended it to me.  I really enjoy it.  It was literally a great way to spend some free time.  I loved that they wrapped it up with a future cast so that I got to see a glimpse into everyone's future.  If you liked The Office, you will like this one.  It does take several episodes to get going, but once it does you are hooked.  


Read: I finished up I Will Always Write Back:  How One Letter Changed Two Lives.  As you know, I have been in a bit of reading slump for a while and this book was just the change I needed. It reads very quickly and really inspires you. It often reminded me to focus on what a blessed life I lead. I can't imagine having to ask my children to sleep under my bed on a dirt floor. I can't imagine the fear that would come from knowing that without someone else's generosity that you would be homeless and starving. It makes my heart so happy knowing that there are such great stories out there to be told.  Next, I decided to try and finish up The Girl Who Stopped Swimming.  According to Goodreads, I have been working on it since July 16th!  I didn't make it quite halfway through so I am not sure if you will be getting a review next week or not, but I do intend to finish it soon.  
Listened: To Jack be surprised that his took had fallen out.  He was chewing on piece of licorice and out it popped.  I am so excited for his top teeth to finally be falling out.  They have been on the brink for years!  The gap it left is crazy big though. It made him a little self conscious they day before school.  I don't think it took very long to realize that most of his classmates have holes where teeth used to be though.
Made: A photo tour of our new place.  If you didn't already see it and would like to, you can check it out HERE.  I didn't include any of the photos in our weekly run down.

Felt: Nervous for my little man.  He had his first day of 2nd grade, at yet another new school.  He seemed to like it okay.  It is always hard to know how things will go as everyone is finding their rhythm.  21 out of 25 of the kiddos were in first grade together and the other 3 kiddos came from within the school so Jack was the only kid new to the school in the room.  I didn't know his schedule or any other procedure so I couldn't really prepare him for lied ahead.  He was in a chipper mood when he came out.  He really likes the independence that comes with being in second grade.

Planned: To have a quick fix for a couple burnt out bulbs in my car.  One was the third headlight.  Of course, that couldn't be a quick fix.  It turns out that the whole assembly needs replaced and not just a bulb.  None of the local junkyards that were open had my car in stock.  I found a listing on Craigslist in Denver who had one he was parting out.  When we were there, we saw those seats were in way better condition than mine were (but really how could they not be), so we decided to go ahead and swap those out too.  Umm, the things that were below my seats were quite shocking.  I did find a good deal of candy, lego pieces, and change.  While the seats are not in perfect condition, I might have a decent chance at getting them to come cleaner when I have it for a few days.  Nick is taking my car to Utah, so it will be a while before I get a chance to do it.  Since we were in Denver, we had to eat at bd's. It wasn't nearly as good as our KC experience, but it does hit the spot.  
 

Loved: Spending the day at Santa's Workshop at North Pole, Colorado.  It is a small amusement park (really more like a permanent carnival) which is Christmas themed nestled at the base of Pike's Peak.  We opened the park at 10 and closed it down at 5.  There was hardly anyone there and we were able to ride all the rides without a wait.  I guess that is the beauty of the school district taking two "testing" days just as soon as school started.  We did choose to spend about 15 minutes in line total so that we could ride Santa's Sleigh Ride Zipline several times.  It is a ride unlike any that I have been on a major amusement park. It was probably my favorite of the park.  We even got to see Santa and got an ornament made with their picture on it.  It was a good time and I am sure that we will be back.  There are several pictures below.

Here are the pics for the week:

Happy to be a bd's


One more missing tooth!


First day of 2nd grade




Our adventures at Santa's Workshop


This ride was neat because you could control the way it whipped around by turning the front piece in different directions.

This ride was awful.  Way jerkier than any wooden roller coaster, but he didn't seem to mind.


The view from the World's Highest Ferris Wheel.



This was my Friday project.  I also made a pair for my master bathroom. I think they turned out pretty well.  I had a friend ask me what was frustrating about it.  Here was my response. "Well I should have bought some fabric scissors for the project and then I ran out of supplies and then the curtain rod didn't work for my first pair."  They make me smile when I see them and that really is the most important part about them. 


No comments: