Sunday 18 January 2015

A Week in Review (January 11-17)

A Week in Review (January 11-17)

Watched: My kiddos play well at soccer. They had two scrimmages this week and did well at both of them. It does help that we have a kid who has pretty advanced skills. They really have a lot of heart and I love that about them. 


Read:  I finished up The Maze Runner. I thought it was a well done Young Adult dystopian novel. The author created quite a bit of his own slang so it took me a while to get used to reading it. Since I have such a large pile of books to make it through, I spent most of time in between loads of laundry on Tuesday finishing it up. If you liked the Hunger Games series, I would recommend this book to you.  It doesn't have quite as much of the love story aspect, but it still worth your time.  Next, I finished Mortal Heart for my book club on Saturday night. I pushed it to the limit making sure I finished it, even reading the last 20 pages in my car after our soccer game. It was easier to pick up because I was already familiar with the characters in the story. Unlike the majority, of my book club I didn't like the way it wrapped up. It went too far to the fantasy for me. Next, I am going to finish up The Evolution of Mara Dyer before it is due back at the library. 

Listened: To a bunch of excuses from the people at Best Buy about as to why my gift card that shipped on the 4th hadn't arrived yet. I spent probably an hour on the phone and couldn't get what I wanted.  So I decided to take my issue into the store, the manager totally got my needs and took care of me above and beyond what was necessary. It was such a refreshing change of pace from most big box experiences. It really lifted my mood.
Made: A lot of fun things for his party. I made a piƱata that doubled as a table center piece. I also made a fun "chest" for them to pick their winnings out of. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I really like it!  Balloon spiders look pretty cool when our guest first walk in and didn't take much time to make.  I also made Creeper blocks for a game that I used for decoration. Jack requested TNT Sugar cookies. They aren't my favorite thing that I have made, but he loved them. I also printed off a Minecraft game for the boys to play. Overall, I think everyone had fun.

Felt: Frustrated getting ready for Jack's party. We wanted to keep it small because we were having it at the house.  The first three that we invited only had one kiddo respond. I was ignored on repeated attempts of contacting the other kids parents.  We invited two more boys and didn't hear from their parents quickly either. I am not sure what is says about our culture that people treat each other without common curtesy.  In all, three boys showed up. One sent me a text on Friday late afternoon. So odd.

Planned: A presentation of my career for Jack's school, Career Day. It was fun thinking about what I would present about my career. I didn't know the ages of the classrooms I would be rotating through, so that made a bit more challenging to prepare for. I ended up doing all first grades because she felt that I could bring the presentation to their level. I think it went pretty well and the kids had lots of fun. I made a small batch of play-do for each of them to keep and we talked about all the different things you can teach while you are playing with play-do. I had to use 17 cups of flour to make sure that I was ready to go. :)

Loved: Celebrating my boy's birthday with him. It is so hard for me to believe that he is already 7!  He had so many plans for his "yes" day that I don't think he could have remembered them all if wanted too. But here is how his day went: He woke up at 7:00 to excited to sleep anymore. Then he had 7 donuts for breakfast. I took pizza for his classroom snack, Nick and I picked him up from school. We opened presents. We set up his Xbox one. He played a ton of Minecraft. We got dressed up and went to see his teacher in her wedding dress. He came home and played some more Xbox. He fell asleep while reading his book for his school.  All in all, it was a pretty awesome day.

Here are the pics for the week:





Birthday Pics



Pictures from his hunt for his Xbox. He would have preferred that I just wrap it. He's kinda of out of luck.


 
The clue was to look under a box in your bathroom. In this photo, even though he is staring right at the box, he can't figure it out. 


He gets in here




















Now birthday party pics















No comments: