Sunday 11 March 2018

A Week in Review (March 4-10)

A Week in Review (March 4-10)

Watched: The Emoji Movie with Jack. I didn’t find it all that funny and didn’t see a lot of laughing from Jack either. We tried Mrs. Doubtfire the next night and that didn’t hit his funny bone either. He said it was about as equally good as the Emoji movie. Obviously, I disagree, but at least he got to see a classic.

Read: I finished up Little Fires Everywhere.  I liked this book much better than the debut novel by Celeste Ng. I was quickly drawn in by the mystery surrounding each character. I also liked that it was set in 1997, the year I graduated high school. It was easy to place many of the references to the culture of the time. As someone who loves order, I was trying to picture how I would handle living in Shaker Heights. Fairly quick and entertaining read.  Next, I started and was able to finish City of Ember. Jack is currently reading it in class and thinks he might select the second one for his next selection in our read together, so I wanted to be caught up with him. I thought it was really good for a dystopian YA book. There isn’t a love story that complicates the book or the lives of readers. I’d recommend to any family of upper elementary, lower middle school looking to do a family read.  Jack and I finished up SlackerWe  both enjoyed this story. It was funny, but still made you think about life’s priorities. I’m glad he selected it for our read together.It was my pick next so I chose Bridge to Terabithia. Not only is the Battle of the Books book, it also is on Banned Book Challenge List. When I wrote the list, this one seemed to spark a lot of reactions of shock from people. I’ve never read it and don’t know really what it’s about so I am looking forward to get to it. With Spring Break, March Madness, and football practice kicking off again, I’m not sure how fast we will progress through it.  I also got just under halfway through The Perks of Being a Wallflower.  I am sure that I will finish it up early next week and have a review for you.  

Listened: To Jack complain about being frozen after his first football practice. It was cold and windy and a bitter start to football practice. Wednesday was a little better. It was still cold, but at least it wasn’t as windy.  Friday night and Saturday were much warmer.  You never know what kind of weather you’ll be practicing in during Spring Football. On the plus side, he really seems to enjoy his coaches. Looking forward to seeing what the season brings. 

Made: A design for a chess club shirt for kids to wear to the tournament. I am hoping that they are popular with the kids and that we get enough to do an order. I chose the statement on the shirt because someone’s I feel like PHE is the pawn of the District and it’s nice to remind ourselves that the pawn does have the same power as a pawn.   Jack informed that he isn’t sure he is going because of the conflict with football. :(

Felt: So refreshed after a haircut. It just was starting to look a bit like a mop so I went in for a trim to give it some shape. I really liked the gal who I found at the SuperCuts because I felt like she listened and tried to do things how I liked them. It doesn’t look a lot different, but I think when I’m ready for a big change she’d help me get it right. 

Planned: Out several pages for the yearbook. It is really coming together quite nicely and I am excited to see it in production again. Having a years experience under my belt has made it much easier to know what I want to do and to not get as frustrated as quickly with the program. Working on a Mac has made things a bit different, but I’m coming to terms with those differences.  Hard to believe it will be totally wrapped up in a month and a half. 

Loved: Jack and I’s fun day Sunday. We started out shopping for new cleats for football and a new baseball glove (not easy for a left handed thrower). We then had lunch at Chipotle.  After lunch we went to the  batting cages and mini golf. It was windy so there were some wild pitches from the machine. The craziest thing was that a family didn’t close the gate behind and their little 18 month old ran down the ramp and onto the hitting area. The balls kept flying and I was screaming at Jack not to hit them.  I was so afraid the kid was going to get beamed in the head with the ball from a machine and die, but luckily he managed to somehow avoid them. I kicked Jack’s butt at golf. I was on fire, golfing only 1 over par.  Next, we  enjoyed some Rita’s Italian Ice for dessert.  I’ve been wanting to try Ticket to Ride, so we stopped by Petrie’s and tried it out.   We both really liked it so we rented and played it daily for the three days that we had it checked out. I put it on my birthday list. 

Here are the pics for the week:










The undefeated Tornados. Jack doesn’t look the best because he jammed (possibly broke) his finger in the game before when he was subbing for a team that didn’t have enough players. 



No comments: