Sunday 18 March 2018

A Week in Review (March 11-17)

A Week in Review (March 11-17)

Watched: A Wrinkle in Time.  It was bad.  Well deserving of it's 4.2 rating on IMDb.  They added in scenes that just weren't necessary or entertaining.  They created side stories that also just distracted from the original tale.  For example, Charles Wallace being adopted.  I would not recommend it for classroom viewing after booking reading, unless of course a teacher is trying to show how Hollywood rarely gets a book to movie adaptation right.

Read: I was able to finish up The Perks of Being a Wallflower.  This is a coming of age book reminiscent of The Catcher in the Rye. I read it as part of my Banned Books to challenge. I can imagine that some parents would be shocked to see their children reading the sexual discussions and drug usage contained in the book. However I think those are parents that have their head buried in the sand about what their children have already been exposed too. When I finished, I wished this book had been available to me in my late teens as I was dealing with some of the classic struggles that adolescence brings.  Next I started on One True Loves.  It is written by Taylor Jenkins Reid.  It have really enjoyed the other two books of hers that I have read.  I am enjoying this one too and have a feeling that I will make my way through her other of couple books sometime as well.  I should have it finished up early next week for review.  It's a good thing because I have several books coming off hold. 

Listened: To Jack’s coach be surprised on Friday that his finger is broken and he hadn't heard about it sooner.  By Friday, he wasn't using the tape 100% of the time and forgot to tape it before he headed to practice.  About halfway through practice it was throbbing pretty bad so he asked coach if he had any tape.  Coach was shocked when he showed him his finger and came over to tell me about it.  He was really shocked when he learned it had been much worse earlier in the week.  He has made pretty good progress this week.  Writing is still a bit painful but he gets there.  I am glad he only has three days of school next to not cause him such a pain.

Made: A corned beef brisket roast for St. Patrick's Day.  Jack liked the meat okay, but he didn't like any of the cooked vegetables.  He found cooked carrots to be the worse.  Nick enjoyed the cabbage and beef as carrots and potatoes aren't kept so he left those off.  My secret teacher from work also gave us some Irish Soda bread to have with it.  It was okay, but a little dry.  It is very hard to bake things here at elevation.

Felt: Bummed that I missed the first time in history knocking off a sixteen seed knocking off a one seed.  Our book club was on Friday night and we had a really good and really long (well at least for this book club) meeting.  I had left my phone in my purse so that I could make sure to focus on the people that I was with and not the games I knew were going on.  When I got my phone out of purse to text Nick that I was on my way home, I was surprised to see that it was being blown up with messages from both Jack and Nick to watch the game.  I ended up totally missing it.  Oh well, at least I was having good conversation with people I don't see very often.

Planned: Cruise packing with Nick.  I can't really believe it but next Saturday, Nick will be driving from KC to Houston and Jack and I will be flying out of Denver to meet him there.  Then we will set sail for Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.  It's going to be amazing.  It might be a bit stressful getting packed, the house cleaned, Nora bathed, conferences done, book fair volunteered at, music teacher subbed for, school pictures organized all day on Tuesdaybasketball watched, and football practices attended but I am looking forward to the end result.

Loved: Having Nick home for the week.  Its so great to just have a partner to share all the little things with.  He is so much better at working on the sill drills that make Jack a better quarterback.  Speaking of Jack being a quarterback.  It looks like the has won the starting quarterback position for his team.  He also asked if coach if he missed the first game for the Chess tournament, would he be able to get his starting position back and Coach said that he most likely would.  I love how many things he is passionate about, but it can make him quite busy and sometimes conflicted.  He also decided this week that he will be participating in Landsharks, his school's running program, again this Spring.  Nick loves being home to see these things.  He hopes the project is getting close to a place where he can switch every other week rather than one week here to two weeks there.  It's a design build so I know better than to get my hopes up.

Here are the pics for the week:

Sausage finger


Crazy hair day




Jack really wanted a pizza on Saturday night and Nick dared him to go in and buy it on his own.  I was surprised at how intrepid he was about doing it.  We practiced the scenario a couple of times on the way over.  He managed to get it done and to make a "friend" while he was waiting for them to cook it.  Good thing the game was on the TV.



No comments: