Monday 6 January 2014

A Week in Review (Dec 29-Jan 4)

A Week in Review (Dec 29-Jan 4)


Watched: Got all caught up on my Days of Our Lives. Sometimes I wonder why I continue to watch it, but then I realize how much I love the mindlessness of it all.  It's a nice form of escape that doesn't involve a book :)


Read: I actually finished up two books and started on a third.  The first one was The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism.  I put this book on my To Be Read list after it was featured on The Daily Show. It is insightful look into one child with autism. While the author often speaks with generalities, I think that still many things can be gained from reading it. For me, seeing how many thoughts could be processed by someone so unable to communicate them was amazing. How frustrating of an experience would that be? One reviewer called this a Rosetta Stone for your vision of what it is to be human and I couldn't agree more. Well worth your time to pick up this book which is styled like a long interview.  Next, I finished Orphan Train.  I really enjoyed this quick read. It opened my eyes to an entire section of US History that I had never thought about. I did like the feel good option of it all, even though it was pretty formulaic. I was definitely more connected to the past than I was the future. Good read for historical fiction fans.  The next book I chose was Never Let Me Go.  Not sure what to think of it yet.

Listened: To a sales person give me a much higher total than I thought possible for my eyeglasses. Luckily I can usually get two years out of a pair since I buy the higher quality. Sticker shock still got me. Looking forward to seeing the final product when they come in. 
 

Made: Another winning new recipe. It is so yummy. I used one can of diced chicken and that was enough for 4 good sizes burritos so perfect for 2 people. As you most likely know, Nick won't eat chicken so we saved a little ground beef out for his and he loved it as well.  So if you are looking for something to change up for you dinner plans, I highly recommend the following recipe.  http://richestoragsbydori.blogspot.com/2013/01/green-chile-and-pepper-jack-chicken.html?m=1

Felt: Like a CLUTZ. Not once, but twice, this week I fell down the stairs. The first time I tripped on something left in the middle. I pulled a shin muscle and bruised my butt something fierce. On Friday, I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I think I stepped wrong on the stairs and twisted my ankle. In attempting to recover from that, I caused a mid foot sprain on the other foot.  It was pretty ugly, but I set around for 2 days keeping it elevated and I think it won't be giving me any troubles. 

Planned: My lessons for January. It is so hard for me to believe that we will be back into routine of school next week. We have really fallen off the bandwagon and I'm nervous about us getting back on.

Loved: Celebrating the New Year with our friend's, The Beane's.  They hosted a fabulous party and everyone had a great time.  Minute to Win It Games make time fly by so quickly!

Here are the pics for the week:

A New Year's Collage


My fancy new bulletin board from my mom. Nick hopes it keeps things off the side of the fridge. 

One of the most awesome Christmas cards I've ever been given.  And it was even drawn by a Husker. 

No comments: