Sunday 16 September 2012

Our 11th Anniversary

I'm probably far enough removed from the trip to be able to write about it now. (So I wrote that in the early part of Sept 2012 and didn't get any further). However as our 12th anniversary approaches, I feel the need to get the story down.  

Last summer was sooo hot and dry.  Our anniversary was on a Saturday and so we decided to look into a raft trip. We didn't really want to drive several hours, and I saw a tour that allowed for you to take a day trip down the Platte. 

The ride there was fun as it was quite hilly and we got several of tummy tickling hills. When we arrived at the place, we were treated to a near place to explore since the meeting place was an old power plant that was right on the river.  I can't believe I didn't take a picture of the building. They got us to our drop in site and it looked like things were going well.  We took some early pics:



Jack even got right into the water. 


It looked like it was going to be a good trip...But it wasn't. The river was so low that we had to walk soooo much it. Jack wanted to spend more time splashing in the water because it was almost 100 degrees out. We hit one spot that was so horrible that we almost tipped the canoe, but instead, I lept out banging myself up. We were supposed to be off the water by 7pm and there was no way that was going to happen. They had to end up sending another guy to help us lighten our load and to try and help us try to find the parts of the river that could help float us better.  See it looks so nice, but here if you look close you can see the other canoe that the sent for us. 


You can also see that disks was coming. I was never so happy to see the power plant for pick up. We were exhausted and extremely filthy.  We even tried to clean up before getting into the car and this is still what I looked like when I got home. 


It was painful and generally unpleasant, but totally unforgettable.  However, there are no two other people I would rather have had by my side during such a "dirty" experience. 


No comments: